Sunday, August 12, 2007

Things That Make Me Happy

It's not uncommon when my daughter and I are together to hear one of us take note of some object, person or event and say "That makes me happy". Please don't think we're really shallow and that we depend on "stuff" for our happiness. Our words are just a way of expressing that something has brought us a little delight.

The things that make us happy are many and varied, and I'm glad we share these aloud. Not only does it help us know a little more about each other's hearts, it also keeps us on the lookout for those easily overlooked moments of joy in life.

So, every now and then in my blog, you're bound to see an installment of "Things That Make Me Happy". If you're not already in the habit of noticing and savoring these moments in your life, I hope this post encourages you to begin TODAY!

THINGS THAT MAKE ME HAPPY, vol. 1

My Red Shirt
I've had my red blouse for several years, and whenever I put it on, I just feel good. It makes me happy every time I wear it (or even think about wearing it). Everyone should have a shirt like that!

The Goat Who Worshiped Me
My friend and I and our boys were petting some farm animals at a farm/park the other day. This one goat had stuck its head through the fence, so naturally, I squatted down to give it a proper petting. As soon as I started scratching this friendly goat's chin, it closed its eyes and leaned its head into my hand with a look of pure ecstasy on its face. It just rested there against my touch as long as I would keep showing affection. It was surprisingly gratifying, even though the recipient was a goat, to be another creature's dream-come-true. :)

Jim's Chicken and Veggies on the Grill
Oh, there is just NOTHING better than when my husband grills teriyaki chicken and all manner of veggies on the grill for the fam. He's a master BBQ'er and I savor EVERY bite of this meal.

The Unlikely Passenger
I was following a car at dusk yesterday; I had seen the driver's face, but saw only the silhouette of the passenger's back. I followed the car for several miles before the passenger turned in profile and I realized that the husky rider in the back seat was really a gigantic dog! I laughed and laughed that I had gone so far without recognizing that outline for what it was.

Other things that have made me happy in the last few days:
Green, red and yellow peppers in the colander,
A photo of a young lady with an wonderfully warm and cheerful face,
Reading yet another book about Mt. Everest,
Singing in church, and
Eating Hot Tamales,
just to name a few.

At immense risk of sounding totally and completely dorky, I sincerely hope and pray that whatever your day is like today, you will keep all your senses open to the "happy" moments along the way. Really.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know it get's pathetic tho when saying "that makes me happy" makes me happy.
we are not easily amused...we just appreciate the little things in life.
i love you mommy.

Anonymous said...

here's my list:
sunshine
a clean baby
a content baby
an empty work e-mail in box
new scrapbook supplies
crossing one more item off my "to do" list
the demolition derby
a moowich
cute preemie clothing (for cheap)

- tam